Smartraveller: The Australian Government's travel advisory and consular assistance service
Latest travel advice updates
- Lesotho - updated 31 October 2014
- South Africa - updated 31 October 2014
- Burkina Faso - updated 31 October 2014
- Ecuador - updated 30 October 2014
- Democratic Republic of the Congo - updated 28 October 2014
- Malawi - updated 28 October 2014
- Solomon Islands - updated 28 October 2014
Latest travel bulletin updates
Join our live online forum at 7:30PM AEDT, Sunday 2 November on the Smartraveller Facebook page. Experts in consular services, passports and travel advice will be online to answer your questions.
- On 23 October 2014, Foreign Minister Julie Bishop launched the CHOICE travel insurance buying guide. In an interview on Today the Minister said, "If you can't afford travel insurance you can't afford to travel overseas. We urge all Australians travelling overseas to take out comprehensive travel insurance otherwise you might find yourself with significant medical bills or hospital bills if something should happen to you, and when you take out travel insurance make sure you take out the right insurance that covers the activities you're likely to be undertaking."
- On 12 September 2014, the Government raised the domestic National Terrorism Public Alert level to High. This represents the assessed threat of terrorist attack within Australia. Heightened security arrangements are in place at Australia's international airports. Consider giving yourself extra time to clear security formalities at airports.
- The Australian Government is considering creating a new offence of entering, or remaining in, a declared area overseas where listed terrorist organisations are engaging in hostile activities without a legitimate purpose.